Wednesday, February 4, 2009
MRI Update and more surgery
So today's mri of Samantha's lower leg showed extensive infection that wrapped around the fibula. Sammy was taken straight from the mri room to the operating room with a brief stay in a recovery room so paperwork could be signed, and the surgery could be explained. So she was sedated, brought back, and then sedated for the surgery. In the surgery the ortho doc made a small incision in her lower left leg where the puss started all coming out. He said it was completely filled. He cleaned it completely out and drilled into the bone down there for drainage as well. He believes that this was the reason her fevers were still persisting. There is a slight possbility that the nerve that controls the the flexing of her toes could have been hit, but we will not know what if any damage until tomorrow evening because she had a block put on that leg so she has no feeling in it and is not able to move it. She is in good spirits tonight (except for the fact that she has to wear a pull-up because she can't feel when she goes pee) and has already eaten a jello, some crackers, and a bown of fruit loops with some milk! This would explain the pain in her leg along with the persistent fevers, so time will shortly tell if we are on the up swing of this whole thing. The main thing we are looking for is the fevers to go away, soooo, yah. That's all for tonight, and here's hoping for better news tomorrow
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good to read the update.. you guys have been on my mind every minute tonite....
ReplyDeleteGlad Sammy liked seeing the pics.. Hannah was great today. The poster was still wet when Jon come by but I'd love to get it to you to put on her wall if possible... They had fun doing it. Hope you both get some rest tonite. Let me know if you need anything at all..
We are praying for you. We would love to do more. Let us know if we can do laundry or clean your house or make food or anything at all. Thanks for keeping us updated on the blog. I check it often! We love you all.
ReplyDeleteAmy Mark and Family are the "Anonymous" commenters above. That might be helpful to know...
ReplyDeleteLOL, I was just wondering that! :)
ReplyDeleteHey girl! We've been praying for Sammy all night. Thanks for updating your blog! Good deal. Do you guys know other Spanglers? I'm shocked really. Hannah is sleeping like a little angel in Ali's room. Love ya
ReplyDeleteWow - just wow. We'll keep praying. Glad you liked the video! Hopefully it helped distract a bit.
ReplyDeleteWhat a yo-yo you are on. Ultimately the good seems to be staying ahead of the bad and we hope this last discovery helps the fever. I would send a video also...but don't want to scare poor Sammy! I'l pop a photo in the next card. Really appreciate the blog updates as my friends up here ask about Sammy and we are all praying fervently. Waiting to hear even better news!
ReplyDeleteNonna
Thanks for taking the time to update on your blog. I'm sorry your family is going through this and I hope that things will be resolved soon. I will keep Sammy and the rest of you in my prayers!
ReplyDelete